01 December, 2019

My Urbansketching Gear

Hi,

Sharing details of the materials that are a part of my Urbansketching gear.

Sketchbook
1. Stillman & Birn Alpha Series sketchbook - I use their hardbound landscape for bigger sketches and pocket size landscape format in my mini kit. I like the (lighter)weight of this paper - it takes linework very well and you can use watercolours easily. I usually work in light washes and finish most of the colour application in single wash. So the Alpha series work best for me. And I love whiteness of this paper.
India link
Global link

If you want a paper that can take watercolour application in its conventional use, try their Beta series. Or check out their website for more paper varieties.

2. When I want to sketch on loose sheets, I find the Fabriano Academia paper the best match to my sketching style.
India link

Pens
3. Lamy Joy - This pen is a workhorse. I like how it feels in the hand. Its grooves are best suited for how I hold a pen. Even if I pull out the pen after 2-3 weeks, the ink will start flowing within 1-2 strokes. I use De Atramentis document Black ink in myLamy.
India link
Global link



4. Platinum Carbon Pen - I am very fond of this pen. It gives this consistent thin line, never dries up and is best suited for the Platinum Carbon Ink which is the darkest permanent black ink that I have come across. You can buy cartridges or there is a convertor option. I just refill ink in the cartridges with a syringe.
India link
Global link


5. Platinum Preppy - For beginners, I recommend this pen as the investment is less and it still gives a very consistent fine line. I use this pen with a grey ink supplied by Noodlers.
India link
Global link


6. Uniball Signo (white) - I love this gel pen as it gives the brightest opaque white lines over watercolours for the highlights.
India link


7. Apsara 2B pencil - This pencil comes handy when I want to just suggest some lines before going in with direct watercolours.
India link


Brushes
8. Rosemary Travel Brushes - I use the Rosemary R8 Pocket Kolinsky Travel MOP. Its an expensive brush but worth the spend.
India link
Global link

I am trying out some other brands and will add my experience about these in 2020.



Brushpens
9. Kuretake Brush pen - Brushpens can be filled with water and serve a dual purpose of a brush and a water reservior. The Kurerake brushpens are longer than the others and gives me a good grip.
India link




10. Pentel Brush pen - This brush is generous with its supply of water and I use it when I want to pain skies.
India link


Inks
11. De Atramentis Document Black Ink
India link
Global link

12. Platinum Carbon Ink
India link
Global link

13. Noodlers Lexington Ink
India link
Global link

Watercolours
14. Daniel Smith Artist Watercolours : I simply love these colour as they are from natural source. The colours are vibrant and activate from pans from the very first dab of a brush.
India link

I will share more details on the pigments I use for my sketches soon..

Any questions, please email me at rohit711@gmail.com

Happy Sketching!!


No comments: